The New Evangelization (Spring 2016)
Assigned Readings (Spring 2016):
- Haurietis aquas, Pope Pius XII, 15 May 1956.
- Ad gentes, Second Vatican Council, 7 December 1965.
- Evangelii nuntiandi, Pope Paul VI, 8 December 1975.
- Redemptoris missio, Pope John Paul II, 7 December 1990.
- Doctrinal Note on Some Aspects of Evangelization, Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 3 December 2007.
Documents from Rome:
- Apostolic letter in the Form of Motu Proprio: Ubicumque et Semper. September 21, 2010. Pope Benedict XVI.
- Address to Participants in the Plenary Assembly of the Pontifical Council for promoting the New Evangelization. May 30, 2011. Pope Benedict XVI.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on the New Evangelization. June 23, 2001.
- Lineamenta: Preparatory document for the Synod of Bishops. October 2012.
- Pope Benedict: New Evangelization inseparable from Family. January 12, 2011.
- Papal Mass on the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul: First Vespers. June 28, 2010. Pope Benedict XVI.
- Doctrinal Note on some aspects of Evangelization. Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. December 3, 2007.
- “The First Wave of Evangelization” Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa’s 1st Advent Sermon. December 8, 2011
- “The Second Wave of Evangelization” Fr. Cantalamessa’s 2nd Advent Sermon. December 15, 2011.
- “The First Evangelization of the American Continent” Fr. Cantalamessa’s 3rd Advent Sermon. December 16, 2011
- “The Current Wave of Evangelization” Fr. Cantalamessa’s 4th Advent Sermon. December 23, 2011.
- Mane Nobiscum Domine: Apostolic Letter for the Year of the Eucharist. October 7, 2004. John Paul II.
- Christian Faith and Demonology. Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 1975.
- Reconciliation and Penance in the Mission of the Church Today (Reconciliato et Paenitentia), by Pope John Paul II. Vatican, 1982.
- “You Will Be My Witnesses: A Pastoral Letter to the People of God of San Antonio on the Christian Mission to Evangelize and Proclaim Jesus Christ,” February 15, 2010. Archbishop Jose Gomez.
- “The New Evangelization and Canon Law,” March 30, 2011. Presented by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke as part of the Gerety Lecture Series.
- “A New Relationship: Bishops, Theologians, and the New Evangelization.” Donald Cardinal Wuerl. September 26, 2011.
- “Disciples of the Lord: Sharing the Vision” Donald Cardinal Wuerl. August 23, 2010.
- “Glorify God by your Life: Evangelization and the Renewal of the Liturgy,” Archbishop Chaput, June 24, 2010.
- “The Prince of this World and the Evangelization of the Culture,” January 27, 2010. Archbishop Chaput.
- "Disciples Called to Witness" Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis, USCCB.
- “A World Prepared for the Gospel: the Melchizedek Factor,” Dan Richardson. Eternity in their Hearts. (Regal Books, 1981). Pp. 14-29.
- “John Paul II and the New Evangelization,” Avery Cardinal Dulles. Church and Society. (Fordham Univ. Press, 2008) Pp 87-102.
- “The Death of Jesus as Sacrifice,” Avery Cardinal Dulles. Josephinum Journal of Theology, Vol. 3, No. 2. (1996)
- “The New Evangelization, Catholic Moral Life in Light of Veritatis Splendor and the Family,” William May (2003).
- “28 Ways to Sanctify, Evangelize and Catechize a Parish,” Fr. Francis Peffley.
- “The Kerygma and the New Evangelization,” Ralph Del Colle.
- “What are the Characteristics of the New Evangelization,” Dave Nodar.
- “Doctrinal Clarity for the New Evangelization: The Importance of Lumen Gentium 16” Ralph Martin. FCS Quarterly (Fall 2011).pp. 9-17.
- “John Paul II and the ‘New Evangelization’: Origins and Meaning,” Richard Rymarz.
- “Here Come the Evangelical Catholics,” William L Portier. Communio (Spring 2004) pp. 35- 66.
- “Some Principles for the Evangelization of Younger Catholics in Secular Cultures,” Richard Rymarz.
- “Solo Gratia, Solo Christo: The Roman Catholic Doctrine of Justification.” Richard A. White. (1987).
- “The Meaning of Christian Culture: A Historical View.” Glenn W. Olsen. The Dawson Newsletter, vol 9. (1991). Pp. 5-8.
- “The Use of Scripture in the New Evangelization: Reclaiming the Story.” Frank Matera.
- “A Brief Reflection on the Intellectual Tasks of the New Evangelization” John C. Cavadini.
- “Evangelization, the New Catechism and Pope John Paul II,” Fr. John A Hardon, SJ. (1998)
- "Theological Foundations of Evangelization," by Paul Hacker. (1983)
- "Mass and Evangelization" by Curtis Martin. Taken from Catholic for a Reason, vol 3: Scripture and the Mass, edited by Scott Hahn and Regis Flaherty. (Emmaus, 2004).
In Class Presentations
- Powerpoint from Marcus Grodi's guest lecture, April 4, 2012.